Friday, May 18, 2007

What Got You Here Won't Get You There by Marshall Goldsmith (business book)

What holds you back in life --  at your job, or in your personal life? Goldsmith's premise is that even successful people can have behavioral traits that keep them from achieving even more. By framing his book in terms of behavior, instead of in terms of personality traits, Goldsmith makes it clear that he believes people can change their behavior and how they act around other people -- but only if they choose to.
 
I really enjoyed reading this book. I saw a lot of things in the book that other people around me fall prey to, which makes me wonder -- which of these things do I do that I'm just not seeing? (It's that whole Johari window concept -- it's a lot easier to point out what is wrong with OTHER people than with yourself. "Why do you see the speck in your neighbor's eye, but don't notice the log in your own eye?")

1 comment:

Amy J. Kearns, MLIS said...

Wow I'm so glad I saw this on here - I have to check it out!

This concept was brought up at The Futures Conference in the program What Got Us Here Won't Get Us There by Joan Frye Williams. It was great! I didn't realize there was a book on this concept.

Thanks!