Friday, August 29, 2008

The first step is always to admit that you have a problem.

My name is Mary, and I have a problem. Yesterday I took 2 paper-bound books plus my Kindle to work with me (plus my spare book that is always rumbling around in the back seat, JUST IN CASE).  I stopped at a used bookstore on my way to my grandmother's and bought 2 books. When I got to work, six books that I had reserved through inter-library loan had arrived (okay, 2 of them are picture books so that won't take long). Then our box of advanced reader's copies came in. (Boy was Pat excited to find the latest P.D. James and Michael Connelly in there. I know what SHE is doing this weekend. But I digress.) So I added to my pile an Advanced Reader's copy of a book I've been hearing a lot about. Then while I was creating the new acquisitions list for this month, I noticed a new Linda Barnes had come out and we owned it! (Plus it was on the shelf.) Well, I haven't read any of her mysteries for a while so off the shelf and into my bag it went.
 
Total books brought to work: 3 (plus a spare)
Total books brought home from work: 12 (plus a spare)
Net gain: 9 books, one herniated back from lifting a very large overstuffed bag, and a realization that I have a serious problem.
 
But I'll deal with that later. Now I have to go finish my book. (One of them, anyway.)

No comments: