Sunday, September 28, 2008

Introvert Power by Laurie Helgoe

What a wonderful, celebratory book for those of us who are introverts! From the introduction: “Because extroversion lines up so well with American values, we introverts often deprive ourselves of what we most enjoy and thrive on. So, for all of you who draw energy from inside, behind, underneath, or away from it all, welcome home.”

I had "a-ha" moments at many times while I was reading this book. "You mean I'm not the only person who feels this or does this?" It was extremely validating.

I really got a lot out of this book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And it's on order at Morris County!

Anonymous said...

Hello,Mary
I was browsing the net and ran across your kind comments regarding INTROVERT POWER - I have so appreciated the feedback I have received since the book came out. There seems to be a groundswell of desire to be freely--and powerfully--introverted, to overturn the assumptions that have limited and oppressed us. Interesting, I don't often use the term "groundswell," so looked it up to be sure of my usage (ah, the introverted love of looking below the surface), and I found a lovely reflection of the concept in nature: "A broad undulation of the open ocean, often as the result of a distant disturbance" (wiktionary.org). If I have engendered such a disturbance, I am thrilled -- and eager for the undulation of introversion throughout our society. Enjoy undulating! Best, Laurie Helgoe