Sunday, December 21, 2008

Books I've read lately

Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher  - an enjoyable and interesting, frothy and funny memoir
 
Double Identity by Margaret Peterson Haddix - (teen) - recommended to me by a 7th grader at Lunch in the Library with Ms. Lommel last week. Fantastic book! I couldn't put it down. The next day I foisted it onto another person who I know will enjoy it.
 
Warriors: Into the Wild by Erin Hunter (kids/teen) - also recommended at Lunch in the Library. I read enough of it to get a feel for it, but for some reason I've never been a big fan of books written from the perspective of animals (Watership Down, the Redwall series, etc) -- except maybe for Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. So I stopped reading it. But the writing was good and I could see why all the kids love it.
 
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (teen) -- WOW. Amazing book, unputdownable. The first in a trilogy. Now I have to wait for the others. Meanwhile I plan to go to the library on Monday and check out the first one in Collins' series for younger kids, the Gregor series. How have I missed this author??
 
Black and White and Dead All Over by John Darnton -- thanks to Pat D for the recommendation. I enjoyed this interesting, well-written mystery -- and learned a lot about the newspaper publishing business along the way.

No comments: