Monday, July 10, 2006

I Am Not Esther by Fleur Beale

I read this book because it's the first book our library's teen reading group will be discussing. It grabbed me from the start and wouldn't let go. Kirby is a teenager whose mother leaves her with her uncle's family -- who are members of a very religious community, some might say a cult -- with very little warning. Her uncle's family renames her Esther and begins to try and convert her to their ways. Meanwhile she is wondering what the heck happened to her mother and why this is happening to her. I found the descriptions of the way the community worked to be fascinating. But I was disappointed in the ending. It felt like the author had grown tired of the book and just slapped an ending together without putting as much thought into it as she did the rest of the book.

No comments: