Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Seventy-Seven Clocks by Christopher Fowler

Any book that describes one of the main characters as looking "like a jumble-sale on a stick" is okay with me. I loved this mystery (part of a series) featuring a pair of elderly London detectives, Bryant and May, whose job is to figure out the peculiar crimes that no one else can.  At times this reads very much like a well-written British procedural mystery, but then Fowler throws in something like the description above, which makes me laugh so unexpectedly that I love it. The action in the book does move rather slowly, but the writing is so rich that I don't mind slowing myself down to savor it rather than gulp it. I've also read, and would recommend, The Water Room by the same author. Looking forward to savoring the rest of the books in the series!
 
 

No comments: