Monday, October 20, 2008

Hero of Ages (Book 3 of the Mistborn trilogy) by Brandon Sanderson

I'd been waiting for this book ever since I finished book 2 in early September. I knew its release date. I pre-ordered it from Amazon and then worried that because it came out the day after Columbus Day, I wouldn't get it on the date. Then (thank you Amazon) it was sent one-day UPS on Monday, so I got it!
 
Then I looked at its hefty size. It is huge! And small print too. And I discovered that it was available in Kindle format. So I thought about it (for about 2 seconds). And then I bought the Kindle version (and donated the hardcover to my library). My brother said "That is SO you." (He meant the part about buying multiple copies of a book.)
 
But enough about how I got the book (and how many times I bought the book), let's talk about the book. It was excellent, a wonderful end to a terrific series. I am impressed with Brandon Sanderson's world-building skills. How many worlds does this guy have in him? He did a great job in Elantris (a stand-alone novel) and now in this trilogy he really did a terrific job not only of creating an interesting world, but also of creating characters that you care for.
 
I devoured this book and was very sorry to see it end. I am looking forward to rereading the entire trilogy in a year or so, back to back, so I can enjoy it all over again. Meanwhile, I am delighted that Brandon Sanderson was tapped to write the last book in the late Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. If anyone can bring that big, complicated world and its story to a satisfying conclusion, it'll be this guy.

No comments: