Monday, October 13, 2008

What I've been reading lately

"The Brethren" by John Grisham (thriller) - one I never read before, published in the mid-90s, very good
 
"A Talent for War" by Jack McDevitt (sci fi) -- one of his early ones, in fact the first in the Alex Benedict series. Okay, but not my favorite.
 
"Izzy and Lenore: Two Dogs, An Unexpected Journey and Me" by Jon Katz (memoir) -- I always enjoy Jon Katz' memoirs because he is so honest about the ups and down of life, and also of course because I love the descriptions of his dogs and various farm animals. This book was especially moving to me, because it talked about Katz's work as a hospice volunteer with his dog Izzy. (Saw the book in Borders, thought about buying it there, but ended up downloading it to my Kindle and reading it.)
 
"The Irregulars: Roald Dahl and the British Spy Ring in Wartime Washington by Jennet Conant (history - also reading this on my Kindle) --  Very interesting book, engaging and well-written. Kind of depressing because it is clear that shenanigans and immoral doings have been going on in Washington DC since time immemorial... the one problem I have with the book is the cruddy editing. Words are left out every so often, just often enough to rudely yank me out of the world in which I am reading and make me think "Huh?" So then it takes me a while to get back into the flow. Grr.

No comments: