Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory (re-read)

I had read this book a couple of years ago and enjoyed it (always have liked things written about that era in English history, for some reason). The other day my friend Trisha and I watched the movie that was recently made. About the best I can say about it is "Boy, were the people and the costumes pretty." Even if I hadn't read the book, I'd have thought the story was choppy and would not have been committed to the characters. So, I thought I'd re-read the book again. And it was still good. My favorite books by Philippa Gregory are this one and her most recent one, The Virgin Queen I think it was called. I've read some of her others and they just haven't grabbed me.
 
Anyone who is a fan of Philippa Gregory might also like Dark Angels by Karleen Koen, another really good historical fiction read about an intrepid girl trying to survive the courtly intrigue of an English king's court.

No comments: