Wednesday, May 06, 2009

New Kindle

Jeez, how many Kindles is Amazon going to unveil this year? They just announced the new Kindle DX, which will be available sometime this summer and which is aimed at the university market (people who have to lug textbooks around). The NYT published an article about it here.

One thing that I think is neat about the new Kindle (aside from the larger screen size) is you can choose whether you want to read landscape or portrait.

But I'm not sure I personally could use the Kindle as a substitute for a "paper" book if I was in school, though. The highlighting/note feature on the Kindle is hard for me to get used to (I'm a "stick post-its everywhere, underline and highlight things" kind of gal). But maybe the younger generation, unlike fuddy-duddies like me, won't have a problem with this.

It will certainly be an interesting thing to keep an eye on. And just think of all the future back problems that could be averted for kids and college students if they could just carry a Kindle instead of 15 different textbooks!

No comments: