Tuesday, May 26, 2009

What I've been reading

Birds by Kevin Henke - a fun, gorgeously illustrated picture book. I could look at it all day.
 
Help Me, Mr. Mutt by Janet Stevens (picture book). Dogs write in to Mr. Mutt for advice about their people problems and he answers them in his advice column. My favorite one is the dog who complains that his people like to dress him up. I must confess Jim and I used to make Daisy wear his superhero robe and pretend she was Superman. And also, just this year, we made Molly wear a headband with rabbit ears on Easter. Oh goodness, I wonder if Molly wrote to Mr. Mutt about ME??!
 
Flygirl by Sherri Smith (teen) -- a fictional account of a black girl who passes for white so she can join the Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP) and help her country during World War II. I've always enjoyed books about the WASP and this one was no exception. Very good.
 
Gone Tomorrow by Lee Child. The latest Jack Reacher thriller. It was just fine for what it was, though I find that I prefer the books in the series where Child writes in the third person instead of the first person.
 
The Scarecrow by Michael Connelly. Normally I enjoy Connelly's books but I have a thing -- call me crazy, but I just don't enjoy reading about serial killers -- so about the 3rd chapter I had to stop. The book was giving me bad mental hygiene. But if you don't mind serial killers I'm sure you'll like it. It did get good reviews.
 
Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman (teen fantasy) -- This really needs to be marketed for older young adults. Heavy themes, sometimes disturbing, and a frustratingly wussy main character. It got good reviews (4 stars in Bookmarks magazine!!) and I wanted to like the book, I did, but I just couldn't. The book was too long but didn't really focus on any one aspect of the character's development for enough time to satisfy me. And it ended with a jaw-dropping cliffhanger that I guess is supposed to make the reader want the sequel but I was just glad it was over. Can't recommend this one.

No comments: