Saturday, May 09, 2009

What's been on my list lately

Dogs and Goddesses by Jennifer Crusie, Anne Stuart & Lani Diane Rich.
I wanted to like this, really I did -- the writing was very good, and the characters were interesting, and there were dogs -- but I just couldn't swallow the supernatural premise (ancient goddess tries to take over town) and had to reject it 1/3 through. Oh well.
 
Emily the Strange: The Lost Days by Rob Reger & Jessica Gruner
Weird, but interesting, teen novel that will be coming out in a few weeks (I snagged an advanced reader's copy). It kind of reminds me of those Ellen Raskin mysteries I used to read as a kid, the ones where you never quite knew what was going on until the end (and maybe not even then), only updated for the 21st century. Enjoyable.
 
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley
Many thanks to Pat D who recommended this book to me. What a delightful read! I loved the cranky 12-year-old heroine and I loved the characters and the writing and... well, it was really good. I am looking forward to the others in the series.
 
Silent on the Moor by Deanna Raybourn
Quite a satisfying conclusion to the Lady Julia Grey trilogy of Regency romance/mysteries. I can't wait to see what Raybourn writes next!
 
The Raven Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt
I liked the writing and the characters, but I enjoyed the verbal sparring between the characters much more than the actual love scenes because... ahemm... the love scenes were a bit too steamy and torrid for my tastes. But that's just me.
 

No comments: